Gray & Mustard

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Roma, ro-ma-ma-ah

Romance. It's on the brain. And of course, on the eve of Valentine's Day, why wouldn't it be? Am I interested in flowers? (Wink, wink, hubs) Y-E-S. Would I enjoy some chocolate? Sure, why not? But, really at this point in my life I'm more interested in what some might consider the boring stuff. Load the dishwasher, make the bed, clean the bathrooms and I'm yours. What can I say? Domestic work really does it for me. Wow. Reading back over that, how pathetic... Oh, well. It's still the truth.

So, Lady Gaga has released her first single off her new album. It's called "Born This Way". Oh, Lady Gaga, you are an enigma. Or at least I thought you were up until about an hour ago. As a Christian, I believe that I share some of the same struggles as other Christians surely do in the balance of the secular vs. the religious. Where is the happy medium? I once heard someone relate this to the salting (or think spicing, if that works better for you) of food. We are to live in the world but not be of it and I'm not too proud to admit that it's really hard. I'm sure you're probably wondering at this point, how on earth am I going to pull off tying this all together? Well, bear with me and if you get offended, I'm really sorry. But I'm not perfect and I don't pretend that my thought process always is either. I guess the question I am faced with, being a fan of someone like Lady Gaga, is this: Is there ever a time when a character like Gaga is relevant to the Christian life? Yep, here's where things get tricky. If I'm already making you uneasy you may want to just close out the window now. Otherwise, stay, enjoy and give me your opinion. I'm interested in what you think.

I just watched Lady Gaga's interview on 60 Minutes and if you have access to it online, it's worth watching. She is the absolute pop icon of our time. If you disagree with everything else I say, you cannot disagree with the fact that the woman is a master in marketing and performance artistry. And, yes. I just discovered she's only one year older than me. Kind of puts things in perspective (The Un-fabulous Life, anyone???). Does she wear raw meat and call it couture? Yes. But the difference between her antics and those of, say Britney Spears, is that when Gaga does something like that she actually has a reason, and a valid one at that (most of the time). The thing she preached the most during her interview with Anderson is that there is no "getting to know the real her" because she puts the real her out there always. Her fans will never be disappointed because she doesn't lie and they know all there is to know. Her message is that of reaching out to the "disenfranchised" and "outsiders" to let them know that they're not alone. "We are all born superstars." This is what she believes and she carries it over into her music, especially her newest single. Take a listen.
Notice the mention of H-I-M and God? How powerful is that? How powerful is God that even a pop icon, who most would think don't know Him at all, is mentioning Him in her latest single? It just goes to show you that God is everywhere. Especially where you'd least expect Him. And agree with everything else she says or not, God makes no mistakes. I'm going to stop now, at least while I think I'm ahead. Find her offensive, or find her amazing, Stefani Germanotta is a woman who battles her own insecurities (which she admits freely) while fighting for the underdogs. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment