Gray & Mustard

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Unrest

I don't typically comment at all on anything political. In my mind, if I'm not going to take the time to inform myself then I don't need say much. I'm most definitely the type of person who, if I'm going to talk about a specific subject, I want to know what I'm talking about. That having been said, if my ignorant rantings offend you, well, go read someone else's blog.

But the unrest in Egypt... Wow. I just flipped over to the Nightly News (something I do less than rarely) and there are quite literally men in turbans riding on horses and camels in the streets, throwing chunks of sidewalk at each other.

Christiane Amanpour was down in Cairo's main square where all the action is culminating. While attempting to maneuver through the masses, she was stopped by a group of men who noticed the camera. They very forcefully said, "We want you to leave! We hate you. We hate America." When asked why, all they can say is that we are bad people. I may venture momentarily into dangerous territory. Please bear with me if I do. I will speak in generalities because if I have to follow every sentence with 'generally speaking' it doesn't make for a good reading experience for you. See? I'm always thinking of you!
Anyway, there are still certain areas of the world where fear and hate of the U.S. and Americans is bred into and ingrained in its people's minds. Much the same way that you see how fear and hate is still taught within families (well, I see it on TV shows, but they mostly base those on real life now a days anyway, right?). So much hate in our world right now. It's sickening and saddening at the same time. Fear. What is it? It's mistrust and ignorance really. In the case of Egypt, we're now seeing that it's not only hatred towards Americans or outsiders, but a hatred, fear and mistrust among each other.  If there's anything I've learned over the past few weeks and things that have been happening in my life it is this: we all need to know our facts, we all need to be a little more trusting and most importantly, we all need to make up our minds for ourselves and not always listen to what everyone else is saying. Passing judgement when you're not equipped with the facts or the truth (if it's available) is so dangerous. That in and of itself is what usually ends up causing fear and even hatred.

What does all this rambling mean?
1. Keep an open mind. People you may not like or even understand may not be nearly as bad as you think.
2. Be informed (believe me when I say that I am in desperate need of taking my own advice on this).
3. Love one another. Love can save the world if we'll only let it.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! So much misunderstanding in the world. I rarely watch the news. It's too sad and I figure if there's something big going on, I'll hear about it. And I found out tonight that I really shouldn't watch the news while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete