Gray & Mustard

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Plateau

Wow! It's the weekend. And a real weekend, at  that. No more of those pre-holiday weekends or actual holiday weekends when everything is totally crazy and you can't relax at all. Don't get me wrong, I live for the holidays (or at least I thought I did until now), but what a whirlwind of craziness. I told my husband sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas that I didn't want the holidays to end. They give such a sense of season and time that, I feel, no other time of year has. But maybe that's okay.
We had a housewarming party / Christmas open house the week before Christmas. We worked so hard for months to get our house ready for that party so we could open our home to our family and friends. We had a blast and the party was wonderful. Then we get hit with Christmas and New Year and it's so much fun, and you get to spend time with family, and the wonderful meals and events and the presents and warm fuzzies. On the eve of returning to work for the rest of my life, I was completely depressed. I just knew it would be terrible. While my husband slaved away putting Christmas up and organizing all over the house, I found every excuse I could to become completely engrossed for the four hundred and fifty-first time in The Notebook. It was almost painful how hard I was trying to hold on to the holidays.
But sitting here almost a week later, I see how silly I was. I am actually thrilled to have a routine back. And the best part about it all is that I took the opportunity to make a completely new routine. And so far, I think it's working for me. Typically, we have been spending every waking moment during the weekend tackling some project around the house. Well, today it became clear to me that we're pretty much done with all major projects around the house. For a second, I was alarmed and toyed with the idea of going into depression mode. But then I thought better of it and decided to sit back and enjoy the view. We have worked so hard to make a home out of our house. And today in the midst of my Saturday relaxation, I looked around and saw that we have done an incredible job. I love our house (and we couldn't have done any of it without my Daddy!) and we are so happy to be home. Let the normalcy begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment