Gray & Mustard

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cardioke!!!

Yes, I did it. There's something about music and choreographed dance that I just can't get enough of. Billy Blanks Jr., son of the Tae Bo empire, has come up with (in my humble opinion) the greatest workout combination known to man. Now, several months ago I got really into Zumba at the local Downtown Y. Once my job became more stressful I stopped going, but that doesn't mean I haven't stopped thinking about it. In fact, I think about it every day, knowing that I could bust a move at any moment. When they pump the Pussycat Dolls' version of "Jai ho!" from Slumdog Millionaire I somehow don't really care how much I'm sweating or how hot I am or how red my face is. I just have to shake it. Yes, shake it.
I knew when working through the Cardioke video when they put on "Don't Cha" that this was the workout for me. So, here I am in our basement living room with the coffee table moved out of the way and my husband behind me. We're shaking, sliding, you name it and yelling "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me? Don't cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me? Don't cha? Don't cha?" IT WAS AWESOME.

For additional motivation and inspiration, we're now watching The Biggest Loser. Wow. What an epidemic our country is facing! What people fail to realize is that it's not as simple as just encouraging people to exercise or eat better. The only way that obesity will be cured is if the general American mentality and lifestyle receives an entire overhaul. What happens when you want to eat right and you're on a tight budget? To really eat right is more expensive than eating the other crap they sell you. I love things like almonds and raspberries, which are considered super foods among the diet world. Almonds are approximately $6/lb, with a small container of raspberries coming in at  $3-4. When you try to stick to around $50/week for all your food, you won't get very far with those items. If I'm on that budget and I can buy a frozen cheese pizza for $1.75 ( plenty for a dinner), I'm doing it! And until our society slows down, we will always be drawn to the convenience of the drive-thru too. Look at all the Dollar Value Menus out there. For those who need a quick, cheap bite on their lunch break to the family on the go, those options at those prices are mighty enticing. I guess unless you can afford to buy all the right things, the most important thing we can learn is moderation and portion control. That, in my opinion, is where energy should be focused in educating ourselves and our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment