Gray & Mustard

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The American(-Italian) Dream

Buddy Valastro is known to everyone as "The Cake Boss", the head baker/owner/operator of Carlo's Bake Shop in Hoboken, New Jersey. I think he is absolutely amazing. I can't not watch him when he's on TV. And now I get to watch him even more. We just finished up "Next Great Baker" where Buddy put up-and-coming bakers through the ringer to find the newest addition to his bakery staff. Now he's starting a weekday series "The Kitchen Boss" - think Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meal, but a lot less obnoxious. We got to see today's episode on Street Food. My husband didn't really have anything negative to say, so you know it must be good. I always joke with him that he can be a bit of a food snob. And he can, don't get me wrong. But deep down inside, I actually love it because it shows just how much integrity he has in making Italian food and how he refuses to compromise it.

The American Dream's reputation precedes it. Wikipedia has the following to say:

"The American Dream, sometimes in the phrase "Chasing the American Dream," is a national ethos of the United States in which freedom includes a promise of the possibility of prosperity and success. In the American Dream, first expressed by James Truslow Adams in 1931, "life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement" regardless of social class or circumstances of birth.[1] The idea of the American Dream is rooted in the second sentence of the United States Declaration of Independence which proclaims that "all men are created equal" and that they are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights" including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."[2]"




A lot of people think it's dead. I know this to be untrue. I would fully agree that The American Dream is partially dead for the vast majority of native Americans. Notice that the native is lower case - this is not a narrative on the plight of the American Indians. Americans have become entirely too complacent. No one has that enterprising spirit. Who would even define themselves an entrepreneur anymore? Yes, I would have to say that I feel that foreigners have the market on The American Dream these days. This is because of one key reason. Foreigners, unlike us Americans, do not have our same luxuries to take for granted. If my husband and I had stayed in Italy, he would have been stuck, miserable in his law enforcement job (surrounded by corruption) and I would have been stuck with whatever job I could come by, even if they expect me to work 6 hours overtime with no pay (yes, that actually happened). No hope of ever owning our own restaurant. No hope of ever owning a home. That is the plight of a lot of people in this world - and I realize, yes, also in our own country. But I firmly believe that in America if you have the desire and the dedication to achieve something that you can do it. America has Cinderella stories out the wazoo. Why do you think that is?


No comments:

Post a Comment