Gray & Mustard

Saturday, March 26, 2011

We we we so excited

I am certain that most of you have seen this, but in case you haven't, you ought to.


Cute girl, irritating voice (mostly due to auto tune), ridiculous video and lyrics, very nasty comments on YouTube. I first saw about this video on Good Morning America. It's pretty obviously a terrible song. The lyrics are what one might expect to come from an eight year old, but Ms. Black is thirteen. The bridge actually states as follows: Yesterday was Thursday/ Today it is Friday... Tomorrow is Saturday/ Then Sunday comes afterwards. Ouch. I mean, really? The whole story on GMA was really about all the mean comments people were posting about the video and Becky herself. And if you take the time to read some, they are pretty terrible. However, there are a couple of things to think about before you get all over the people making the comments.

1. Who put her up to this? Did someone along the way tell her she had an amazing talent along the way? We see this happen every year when they air the auditions for American Idol. Parents or friends misled (lied) and told their child or best friend that they had a good voice and sounded great. Therefore, they start thinking about all the singing competitions available to people now and decide to audition. They get put on national television not to applaud their great talent, but to string them up for a firing squad of criticism. Really uplifting stuff. I realize I'm not a parent, but I know from the experience of being someone's child that there comes a time where you have to steer your children in the direction of their natural talents. I did rec. league sports for years because all my close friends did. But, believe me when I say, I am not an athlete, unless you consider couch potatoing a sport. Which you wouldn't of course, because it's pathetically not. And I don't even remember this happening, but at some point in time my parents steered me in the direction of music and away from sports. It was subtly done with love. My parents wanted me to be successful and have self confidence.

2. If you're putting this crap on YouTube (public domain), you're asking for people to view and comment in one way or another. So, if you don't want your feelings hurt, don't ever put something on the internet. I write a blog. I realize that anyone at anytime could find what I have to say to be completely wrong, ridiculous or offensive and they have the right to comment as such. It may hurt my feelings, but it was ultimately my decision to put my thoughts out there for everyone to see. You make yourself vulnerable. And when you make yourself vulnerable, you always run the risk of getting shot down. That is what is currently happening. But, mark my words. Someone at some record company will feel sorry for her and see an opportunity to cash in on the negative attention given to her song and her video and she'll wind up with a record deal. Or we'll see her in another sequel of High School Musical or on an episode of Glee sometime in the future.

If you hated the video, you'll love the sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment