Gray & Mustard

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fancy Burgers

My two beloved colleagues and I went out to lunch today at a new place that just opened, conveniently located directly across from our office. It just so happens to specialize in two of my biggest weaknesses - burgers and fries. I did spend some time this week fasting in preparation for Ash Wednesday, to take my focus off of frivolous things (namely, food) and back to where it needs to be - on God. I'm giving up/taking on a lot of things for Lent this year because I know that I am called to be more disciplined and take better care of myself than I currently am. So, today instead of eating everything that was put in front of me today, I took the other half of my gourmet burger home to share with my husband (wasn't that nice of me?! Believe me it was if you knew how much I love burgers and fries).  Now, this place has been open for several weeks and the only thing that has kept us from eating there so far is that the place is always packed out. We've only got an hour for lunch and a 20 minute wait is a little more than we can do. But today it finally worked out. I've had the menu for over a month and I periodically look it over. Quite frankly, the combinations seem a little intimidating. There's not a single 'normal' burger on there. I had a spiced turkey burger with a tomato pepper compote, lettuce, tomato, smoked gouda and a black-raspberry mayo.

It was awesome.

Believe me when I say that this is not a plug and surely they won't mind me doing this, but check out this menu. I typically like my food pretty simple. Many people would disagree. I'm most certainly not a picky eater. I consider myself to be pretty adventurous. But let's be real. A hamburger's a hamburger. I really didn't know if I would enjoy one of their combinations and considered asking for my own, but I'm so glad I didn't. The burger was fantastic! Their onion rings and fries delicious. I highly recommend it.

I would definitely have to say I was a skeptic. And here's why. Generally speaking, holes in the wall serve better food than the 'gourmet' or fancy places. Mexican places being the prime examples of this. I love the fact that I can frequent my local Mexican place with my husband, share an entree that has more than enough food for us both, get a pair of margaritas a piece during happy hour and only pay $25. It makes me happy. I've been to a couple fancy Mexican places and really just ended up being disappointed. Most of the stuff is just as good if not better at my h.i.w. and it costs a lot less.

My point being, the hamburger joint near work has rocked my world. Maybe I've just been right all along. Maybe fancy is better...

No comments:

Post a Comment