Gray & Mustard

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Same Difference

If there's anything that my adolescent - adult life has taught me, it's that despite how different we all may seem on the surface, we're really so much more alike than we realize. I've spent time overseas and met people from all over. Yes, we all have differences - culture, heritage, religion, sexual orientation, race. And there's no denying that as time goes on, most of these things are seeming to drive a wedge even further between a lot of us. There is so much misunderstanding, misconception and the like that we've all lost sight of how similar we are. It is hard to see past some of those differences, yes. But if we all want to get along, we have to. Deep down inside we all have a lot of the same fears, dreams, thoughts. What changes is how we react to those things and how we act on them. Same difference? Exactly.

The universe has a sick sense of humor. Just when you think things are turning the corner... BAM! Not. You spend your whole day in a good mood and then one little (or big, whatever the case may be) thing happens and all of that happy-go-luckiness is gone, totally pushed out of your mind as if it never existed. I find that that works much the same in my job as well. I unfortunately rarely can remember the name of a client who was sweet, patient, kind, but I can name every single one of the clients who has raised hell, yelled and cussed at me and threatened my job. This, too, I find to be unfair (Have you noticed I'm finding a lot of things to be unfair lately? Yes, it's hit me finally. Life just isn't fair. And you get to be around to hear me tell about it). For once, just once in my life I'd like to be able to take one step forward without having to take two steps back.

The saddest realization of my day is this. How is it that I know more about what's going on with Charlie Sheen than what's happening in Libya? How did the media's prioritization of news get so skewed? Oh, wait. It's us. Apparently all we care about is watching people we have put up on a pedestal fall. That's pretty sick. But also true. I know all about the 'tiger blood' and his own little webcast he's started to rant and rave about... Oh, right. NOBODY  KNOWS! Not only is he an addict to just about everything, but now he's apparently certifiably crazy. Yet, I can't even begin to tell you why the situation in Libya is taking place nor how the situation in Egypt concluded. The saddest thing is that I don't even watch the news hardly. All of this is just what I've picked up in passing. And it's all about Charlie. Yes, the universe has a sick sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment